Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Meditation on Spring

I am feeling lucky today and it has nothing to do with it being St. Patrick's Day. No pot of gold for me.

Every year I forget how the winter has lowered my spirits until spring comes around. Suddenly, I feel alive and hopeful again. It's a time of rejuvenation and remembrance.

This morning, when I was enjoying a lovely walk down the hill to work, I felt lucky to be alive. And I remembered that I am. I'm lucky that I can see the flowers blooming, hear the birds chirping, and feel the sunshine and cool air penetrating my skin.

Sometimes I forget that these simple things are extraordinary blessings. Like everyone else, I have sorrows. Some are deep and cast dark shadows over my heart. And I question and doubt because all I can feel is cold and all I see is darkness.

But nature teaches me things. I believe in the natural rhythms and cycles of the earth. No matter how desperate I feel during winter, I trust that spring will come.

Today it came. 

And I remembered that the rhythms and cycles of life are not unlike those of nature. Sorrow will not last forever. I just have to trust that joy will one day come.

For me, this is much easier said than done.

But today I am lucky because I remember that this is true. And it makes all the difference.


2 comments:

Kimberlie said...

Wow, you went from Strippa Shoes to thoughful post on the cyles of nature and life. Jamie Lyn, you are a talented woman and don't let those rotten, nsty. dark shadows be cast over your heart. Remember that there is always a little gift from God for you and it could be anything from $40 on the sidewalk so that you can eat at Corkys to a really good song that you can dance to in the bathroom stahl.

Enjoy the cycles of life because we really don't want to have a "Groundhogs Day" experience. :)

tammyfaye22 said...

I'm sorry you've been having such a rough time! Hang in there, okay chica! The hard times are really difficult but eventually they do pass! I'm glad the lovely spring weather we're having here is helping. It makes me feel so much happier too!